Thursday, April 29, 2010

Render Your Words...

Render Your Words…

Yesterday at work…Well…Let’s just say that I did not start off on the right foot. The ironic thing is that I had read my Bible already…and I had a cup of coffee. Ha. But I didn’t let the Word sink in as much as I did the caffeine I guess. Mistake Number 1.

One thing I try to make clear to people is that I am by no means perfect. I have these thoughts and ideas and lessons that I learn, and I want to share. Some I walk out better than others…while some, well…I need extra dosages of God and prayer to keep going.

I started writing this blog because I pray that as I begin to rend myself from the things of this world and render my heart, mind, and soul to the things of God-that we can learn and walk it all out together. I know that I would say I will walk it out on my own, but what an amazing thing if I have others who join with me. So, as of yesterday…let’s just say that I proved yet again to myself and to someone else that I am just another human being who needs the forgiveness, grace, and control that only Christ can give.

James 3:2
2We all stumble in many ways. If anyone is never at fault in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to keep his whole body in check.

You see I like to joke, have fun, poke fun even, at those I am friends with…or even those I may only know a little. It happens to me too. I absolutely love to laugh…it is one of my favorite things to do. However, we all know that joking and sarcasm has a time and a place…and it has its limits. Growing up, I was not sarcastic at all. My mom, she can’t stand it…and she doesn’t take well to it. (Everyone who knows my mother…take notes and beware lol). But as I came to college and got around others it became more natural in my every day conversation. Some of it is really funny. However, there is a reason that the term sarcasm was derived from a Greek word meaning “to bite the lips in rage, sneer, to tear flesh, to cut”…that sounds awful if you ask me. I think there is some truth in this…that it can rip at you or dig into your heart or emotions. Some of you may be thinking that some people are too sensitive-yes this is sometimes true, but usually we only say they are too sensitive because we are too prideful to admit we were wrong in how we treated someone or in the attitude that we had toward them.

Mistake Number 2-When I opened my big fat mouth with a sour attitude and offended a friend-Kicking myself in the booty right after and knowing that my attitude was not pleasing to God.

I am thankful that my friend whom I had a sour attitude toward was willing to accept my apology. It is a different thing being on the other side of hurtful words...and I have been on both. It took me several hours before I worked up the nerve to apologize. I had to get the pride out of the way as well as the selfishness of worrying about what others think or worrying about being embarrassed.

As I discussed some of the events of the day with a friend, it was interesting to see that not everyone thinks that what I did or said was a big deal…or that it should merit me sharing with the world the little lesson that I got from it. However, I can say that if God makes it clear to my heart to do something then it must be important…if God will give my spirit unrest until I act on what he is telling me, then it is worth my time. So while what I write today may not seem like a big deal to some people, for me…it is a big deal. I want to know that I am above reproach…that I try through God’s Spirit to love as He loves and to see others through His forgiving, merciful, and just eyes. So, if I am going to do that, then God is NOT going to leave a part of my heart wanting…the little flaws that we have-they matter to God and He does not want to leave them there. Of course He is not demanding perfection to get to heaven…Praise the Lord-we would all burn in hell if He did. BUT He is commanding us to seek after Him, to follow Him, and to do His will.

I truly believe the more we seek God, the more we have to become like Him…it would be impossible to not be influenced by a God who is so big, so beautiful, so holy, so righteous, so loving, so gracious, so compassionate, and so just-it would be impossible to not experience radical change in our hearts so that even the minor little things we do whether out of selfishness or pride or lust or ___________(fill in the blank with whatever you want), have to flee…they have to go away-the HOLINESS and PURITY of God cannot dwell with sin…in the same place. That is a contradiction to who God is and who He has enabled us to be through His power. For those of you who do not know God or the Bible or Christian lingo…I apologize. You can message me if you want to. I could not think of any other way of writing my thoughts down on paper…I am pretty sure I have a limited vocabulary. :)

The funny thing is that I know one of the gifts I have through the Lord is encouragement…yet, I still fall into that hole that makes me understand the Scripture that says to tame our tongues…and the way that our words have meaning. I have never believed in the saying “Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me”…that is untrue. Words…they cut you deep…to the core of your heart. And the problem is that once they escape your tongue you can’t get them back. Believe me I have tried.

Usually I think before I speak…I even overanalyze and pray about the words I want to use. In times when I am in tune with God’s Spirit, He even changes what I plan on saying to make it more of what He wants to convey. Unfortunately, there are other times that I open my mouth and the disdain that falls from my lips pierces my heart as well as the person I spoke them to. That may sound weird but I usually can feel the pains of regret in the utter depths of my stomach once I have said too much or selfishly dove into a conversation without regard to God’s heart or the heart of the person in front of me.

James 3:9-11
9With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. 10Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. 11Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? 12My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water.

I have learned over the last five years how to control my temper, how to react in a way that is pleasing to God rather than reacting impulsively…and yet, there are still those moments when I kick myself for not having been more aware. In times of taming the tongue, we have to break away from what our flesh is telling us and render or submit ourselves to God’s Spirit. It is true that the more time we spend with God, the more likely we are to know His voice in our hearts above all others. He becomes a familiar voice and face in our lives. Imagine if you spent every waking moment with the person you love. If you ever got separated in a crowded room, you would still be able to determine their voice from amongst those around you.

John 10:3-6
3 “The watchman opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. 4When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice. 5But they will never follow a stranger; in fact, they will run away from him because they do not recognize a stranger's voice." 6Jesus used this figure of speech, but they did not understand what he was telling them.

So, I encourage myself and you to spend time with the Savior. You would be able to know when He is telling you to shut your mouth…or even to apologize. I know from experience that apologizing takes humility…truly being convicted of my actions means that I am sincerely torn over what I have done and want to make a change or live differently from that point forward. But I can’t be torn over something if I haven’t experienced both sides of the fence-meaning, I can’t be convicted over something unless I am in tune with the Spirit thus leaving something inside of me in conflict.

I John 4:12-13
No one has seen God at any time; if we love one another, God abides in us, and His love is perfected in us. By this we know that we abide in Him and He in us, because He has given us of His Spirit.

The summary of my lesson to myself is that I have to keep abiding in the Spirit of God…Otherwise, my attitude reeks of the stench that produces sour faces, broken hearts, and battered relationships. We have to be careful of our attitudes and the words that are sown into the lives of others...even if it doesn't seem like a big deal, listen to your heart and God's Spirit.

John 14:23-27
23Jesus replied, "If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. 24He who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me. 25"All this I have spoken while still with you. 26But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. 27Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment